Monday, July 04, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #71 INXS




The second best Aussie band ever came out of Sydney in the late 70s and found global success in the early 80s as a part of the new wave explosion. The hit 1987 album Kick produced four top ten hits. It was September 14th, 1988 when they played Birmingham, Alabama. Michael was wearing the famous leather jacket that he wore in the “Need You Tonight” video. He had taken it off and laid it on an amp on the side of the stage. As he continued singing his song, some dude out of the crowd jumped up onstage, grabbed the jacket, and leapt back into the crowd. I don’t know what happened to that dude but I’ll always remember that. They were definitely among my favorite bands of my high school years. Michael Hutchence was one of the all-time great frontmen. Kirk Pengilly’s sax work was also memorable. Garry Gary Beers on bass, Andrew Farriss on keys, Tim Farris on guitar, and Jon Farris on drums made up the rest of the band. Excellent players, all. I particularly enjoyed Jon’s drumming. Michael is greatly missed.


Great video from MTV's early days.



INXS - The One Thing by UniversalMusicUK



This was one of the coolest videos of the 80s. The motorcycles and the tricked-out Japanese big-rigs. Michael Hutchence with Jim Morrison level charisma. Fantastic song. Just awesome.





Tilt my hat at the sun
and the shadows they burn dark
light me and I'll burn for you
and the love song never stops




INXS - Burn For You by UniversalMusicUK



Listening to this song makes me feel fifteen again. I just have to hear that "What What What" and it is 1986 all over again.





My favorite track from the incredible Listen Like Theives album.

Falling down the mountain
end up kissing dirt
look a little closer
sometimes it wouldn't hurt




INXS - Kiss The Dirt by universalmusicdeutschland



This great video was the one that put them over the top and made them into superstars. Loved that leather jacket.





Devil Inside, Devil Inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.





and we conclude our look at INXS with Never Tear Us Apart. This is my favorite INXS song. Just a magnificent love song with a beautiful video filmed in Prague. I've always wanted to visit Prague.








No comments: