Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #68 The Grateful Dead




From a humble beginning playing a pizza parlor in Menlo Park they went on to become one of the most successful touring bands of all time. These guys ultimately set the model for what a jam band is. The band was made up of drummers Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart, bassist Phil Lesh, and singer/guitarists Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia. There were several keyboardists over the years including Ron “Pigpen” McKernan, Keith Godchaux, and Brent Mydland. The songs were classic, but they were never played quite the same due to the improvisational nature of the band. Going to a Dead show you were never quite sure what you might hear and neither were the members of the band. It was a fresh experience every time and it inspired some of the most devoted fans that any band has ever had.


Great track from their first album.





Here they are playing St. Stephen on Hugh Hefner's old Playboy After Dark show.





Nice live version of Uncle John's Band.





Don't murder me.





Always loved this one. Drivin' that train.





Time to let Phil sing!

Look out of any window.






One of the all-time great story songs. Lyrical perfection.

Got two reasons why I cry
away each lonely night
First one's named sweet Anne Marie
and she's my heart's delight
Second one is prison, baby
the sheriff's on my trail
If he catches up with me
I'll spend my life in jail

I set out running but I take my time
A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine
If I get home before daylight
I just might get some sleep tonight






She's got everything delightful
She's got everything I need
Takes the wheel when I'm seeing double
Pays my ticket when I speed






What a long, strange trip it's been.





Great live performance of Playing in the Band.





and we conclude our look at the Grateful Dead with their big 80s hit Touch of Grey. 








No comments: