Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The 100 Greatest Bands of all time - #97 The White Stripes



Of all the bands on my list, The White Stripes, having formed in 1997 in Detroit, are the newest. Jack White, a true musical genius, created a mélange of his various influences (blues, punk, folk, country) and made some of the finest music of the past decade. Meg White’s minimalistic drumming style provided the perfect backing for Jack’s explorations. Besides all that, Jack has proved to be one of the best guitarists of the era. Great songs, heavy crunchy guitars, pounding percussion, and truly original visual style ensure their spot on this list.


Seeing this video years ago was my intro to this band. It blew me away. So awesome and yet so simple.





I don't think I've ever heard a song that describes childhood quite so well. It is a beautiful track that inspires strong nostalgia and a longing for simpler days.





Legos! These guys are great. I said it once before but it bears repeating. :-)





Arguably, this is the finest guitar riff of the 21st century so far.





I wonder how many drum sets they wound up using for this video.





Wow. Just, wow.





and we conclude our look at the White Stripes with Icky Thump.






No comments: