Sunday, October 22, 2006

The story behind the first big list

Several months ago, my friend Mark suggested that I produce a list of the 100 greatest songs of all time. Well, as I always do, I went a little bit overboard.

I started putting together a list of all the songs that I considered worthy of inclusion in a list of the all-time greatest songs. I wound up with several thousand possible entries.

So, I figured that the only way to properly do this was to divide the songs into their respective years, put together the annual lists, combine those into overall decade lists and then combine the decade lists into the final all-time list.

I figured I would start with 1950, although a handful of pre-1950 songs did creep their way in. I also decided to leave out jazz. I love jazz, but I felt that comparing jazz with rock was an apples-and-oranges type situation and wouldn't work very well. The list is predominantly rock with some instances of country, reggae, and rap included.

I'll start soon with the pre-50's lists and I'll include links to videos on You Tube whenever possible.

Comments and opinions are encouraged and appreciated.

1 comment:

Mark Luebker said...

I'm flattered to be listed as a friend, Leo. And I'm embarrassed that I still haven't come up with a songlist of my own!