Friday, October 27, 2006

More commentary on the pre-1950 list

5. Take Me Back To Tulsa – Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys (1941)

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys basically invented the genre called Western Swing. This is good stuff. Tommy Duncan provided fine vocals that were backed up by Bob’s constant calls sprinkled throughout the songs. I think it may be Bob Wills’ running commentary throughout each of their songs that makes me like this band so much. This particular song is the earliest one to make my list, but it is just so infectious that I had to include it. I drove through Oklahoma once, but I’ve never been to Tulsa.

4. Rollin’ Stone – Muddy Waters (1948)

Muddy Waters’ Rollin’ Stone, also known as Catfish Blues, became his signature tune in 1948. This is the song whose title eventually inspired the names of a very successful rock band from England and a highly regarded magazine. To my ears, the song exemplifies Chicago Electric Blues. Rolling Stone Magazine ranked the song as number 459 on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

3. Move It On Over – Hank Williams (1947)

Move It On Over was Hank’s first major country hit, making it to number 4 on the country charts in 1947. I’ve always enjoyed Hank’s more light-hearted numbers and this story of a man sent out to sleep in the doghouse has always struck me funny. Being from Alabama myself, I’ve always liked the thick ‘Bama drawl that comes out in Hank’s voice.

2. Stay All Night (Stay A Little Longer) – Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys (1947)

Well now this song is just awesome. When you hear it, you can’t help but bop along with it. As far as I’m concerned, this is the ultimate country dance song.

1. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry – Hank Williams (1949)

This is a beautiful song, both lyrically and musically. It made it to number one on the country charts in 1949 and Rolling Stone listed it as number 111 on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Hank, himself, reportedly considered it his favorite of the songs he had recorded.

No comments: